19 February 2008

Every week. Every freakin' week!

OK, this kid on Idol, David Archuleta, is too cute for words. I cannot get over it. As a parent, I can only imagine what his parents must be thinking and feeling. If I were his parents, I'd be getting those awful T-shirts made—you know, those ones from the kiosk in the mall—with his face on them, and some caption like "My son is America's next Idol!" I'd wear mine every day. Hell, I'd do that for Maddie and Riley now, based on nothing more than them being able to correctly identify the color yellow about 50% of the time. Having your kid rock the house on Idol? And be so sweet and charming and genuine to boot? Wow. They must all be on cloud nine.

**********************
Work is busy. I like it, and I feel like I'm doing a good job, but it's busy all the time. I had to work yesterday, and others from my department were in on Saturday and Sunday. I am assured that this is not typical, I just happen to have started at a busy time. I hope that's true, because longer hours are not appealing to me. We'll see how the next few weeks go.

**********************
I'm hosting book club tomorrow night. I still have sixty pages to go. What am I doing? Watching American Idol! Heh.

**********************
My dad was here for a long weekend. My mom gets here on Thursday for a long weekend. Then John's family comes for a short weekend. That's a lot of visitors. It's mostly good. I generally have more patience with the twins when I have some help, but I also get even more down on myself when I lose patience with the kids in front of someone. It's so embarrassing to snap when there's someone there to witness it! I know my dad isn't judging me, or my mom for that matter, but it still bothers me. And John's parents? Well, I'm not so sure that they aren't judging me. In theory, their silent judgment doesn't matter to me. I know I'm doing the best I can and that sometimes that's pretty damn good. But it's hard not to take it personally. As usual, I need to think about some Al-Anon principles related to minding my own business and remembering that I can't control other people: I can only control myself.

**********************
I don't get the appeal of dreadlocks. What am I missing? But I do like this Jason Castro kid. I'm starting to feel like some kind of pervy old lady. Sheesh.

8 comments:

amyinbc said...

Glad you are getting long weekends with your dad and then mom and a SHORT weekend with the outlaws ;)

10 lbs of awesome in a 5 lb bag said...

I know I'm doing the best I can and that sometimes that's pretty damn good. But it's hard not to take it personally. As usual, I need to think about some Al-Anon principles related to minding my own business and remembering that I can't control other people: I can only control myself.

I know that this is easier said than done, but don't pay a second of attention to them if you have a moment when you get short with your kids. I'm just a lurker who is here to remind you that you're a single working mother of twins who lost her husband less than a year ago. Damn. It makes me tired just to read your posts - to think that you're going to be some idealistic Mary Poppins all the time is insane.

Julia said...

That is a lot of company. On the plus side? The in-laws are only coming for a short weekend, and maybe (hopefully) you will be rested after the time with your family.
Can't converse about Idol-- have never watched it. You think there is something wrong with me?

Little Things said...

If you can make it through that many weekends with family around, you should definitely get an award. Like a whole cheesecake that you don't have to share with anyone. Or something else equally inane that makes the world a happier place.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

the KIDS on AI are all young there are a couple guys over 21 the rest are all so well young... that young man David ROCKS he is amazing and like you i just dont get the dreds but, hes pretty good too.

I bet your kids have grown alot since the last time you posted pics... i hope we will be seeing new ones sometime soon.

Hugs
Laura

What A Card said...

Hey! Get going on that book club book!

Have fun with all the visitors, and big congrats to your kids on their 50% yellow accuracy rate :) That is the sweetest!

Mama Nabi said...

Sending you lots of hugs in anticipation of in-laws weekend... FYI, with my Korean mom, sometimes I just nod and agree and tell her that I will rearrange everything in my life HER way. With no intention of doing so, of course. :-)

Kanga Jen said...

"I don't get the appeal of dreadlocks. What am I missing? But I do like this Jason Castro kid. I'm starting to feel like some kind of pervy old lady. Sheesh."

I KNOW!!! I'm having the same exact thoughts and humorous concerns. Between the babies on Idol and Jacoby Ellsbury (have you seen him in Men's Vogue? O.M.G.) I worry about myself.