- Great naps and wonderful nighttime sleep
- The ocean! Maddie = AWESOME, Riley = pretty cool
- Fantastic children's museum
- Hotel buffet breakfast: something that appeals to everyone
- Mad crazy running amok in the hotel lobby
- Hotel pool and using our fun baby floats
- Great weather
- Down time with my mom after the kids went to bed: room service and the Red Sox on TV
NOT SO GOOD
- Riley and Maddie try peanut butter* on the morning of our departure; both love it; Riley breaks out in systemic hives 20 minutes after breakfast
- Poop in the hotel bathtub! Then poop on the carpeted floor while we clean the bathtub!
- Finding places to eat with (a) enough high chairs, (b) food that appeals to the one-year-old set, and (c) quick service
- Maddie drinks colossal amount of apple juice at O'Naturals, the pukes it up on herself because the belt on the high chair is rather tight on her, um, ample belly
- Shopping at the giant LL Bean flagship store with the babies. Babies think shopping is boring, even if you are buying things for them
I learned from the experience, and overall we all had fun. I would change a few things, though. I would definitely pack more food for the kids. I naively assumed that since they like pasta and grilled cheese (among other things!), we'd be set on eating at restaurants. And, frankly, I'm not sure it was the food so much as it was the fact that restaurants are so! Interesting! There are so many things to look at, people to watch, etc. that the food pales in comparison. So they don't eat, then they end up hungry and cranky.
It was good to get home yesterday, but I'm really tired today. The kids were up before 6:00, a rarity at our house. Riley had cried at 2:00 and 4:00 and settled back down, but at 5:45, he clearly meant business and not in an "I'm impatient" way but in a "something is wrong" kind of way. I got him up and he was quite poopy and rashy and uncomfortable. I think he's a little sick, poor babe. I got him cleaned up and we had a snuggle while my mom got up Maddie. It was an early start, especially since I didn't sleep much after the 4:00 fussing. Now I'm at work, sleepy, with meetings to go to and boring stuff to do and a serious attitude problem. Bah.
*Yeah, I know, I was supposed to wait until they were 2. I got cocky. They don't have other food allergies and neither John nor I have any food allergies, so I thought I'd be safe. Ha. HA HA. HA! Bummer, because they thought it was delicious and peanut butter is such a good source of protein for vegetarians. Hopefully he won't be allergic to tree nuts, too.