03 April 2007


The ER of a big city hospital is a crazy, surreal place at 11:00 p.m. on a Monday night. I don't know if this is true of all ERs, but according to the nurse I spoke to, Monday is always the busiest night at the downtown hospital we visited.

GH spiked a 103°F fever last night. Yikes. One call to the oncologist later, we were on our way to the hospital. Luckily, a friend was able to come over and be on baby duty. Also luckily, GH's doc had called the ER to let us know he was coming in, so they saw us right away, saving us from a wait among the crush of humanity that was literally overflowing the ER waiting room. There were no chairs, and lots of clearly contagious people everywhere. I don't want to be a snob, and I feel for people who don't have health care and have to use the ER as their primary care source. But that doesn't mean that I want my seriously immunocompromised husband to spend time there.

The ER docs and nurses were awesome, really professional and nice. Once GH was set up with IV fluids and anitbiotics and it was clear that he was going to spend the night, I went home to catch some shut-eye. The babies cut me a break and slept until 6:45 a.m., thank goodness. The twins and I spent a nice morning together, then I took them to daycare.

I spoke with GH before I left the house. He's waiting for his oncologist to drop by, but the hospital doc has indicated that he will likely spend one more night at the hospital. They suspect an infection in the fluid that is collecting in his abdomen. Hopefully the triple-threat antibiotic they put him on will knock that right out.

Time for me to shower and head downtown, with a coffee stop along the way.


Dorcasina said...

Thank goodness for good friends on baby duty, a caring oncologist, and a good ER staff. And adorable twins who stayed asleep so that you could sleep, too.
Here's hoping that uber-dose of antibiotics does the trick, and that medical science is going to come up with another miracle or two for you all. Thinking of the four of you constantly--

Christine said...

Shit, Snick. I'm sorry. I hope he's feeling better and that you get some answers from the oncologist. I did ER patrol with my husband and then went to work many a day. Make sure you take care of yourself. And keep us updated.

Yankee T said...

Oh good gawd. You're on my mind. Hoping for the best, always, with love.

Leggy said...

I'm glad you have such a good friend that can come help on short notice. I hope those antibiotics do the trick and I'm glad that the ER was able to whisk you right in so you could avoid all those germs.

laura said...

Sounds like you deserve a big cup, full of caffine and other goodness. I imagine you function on auto-pilot,just trying to get through. I'll be thinking of you all.

buddha_girl said...

I'm here by way of my Lil Sis. She adores you.

I'm so very sorry that you're dealing with the stresses of your husband, his family, THEIR needs, and your beautiful kids.

My prayers and hopes for some peace and relief are coming your way. Let Lil Sis and I know when you're up for a care package. We know all about comfort packages!

Rev Dr Mom said...

Hoping the antibiotics are doing their thing, and GH is back home with you and the babies soon.

Hugs and prayers as always.

haitch pee said...

also hoping that the antibiotics do the trick and that your support network keeps on kicking in when you need it. thinking of you all often.

Klynn said...

Thinking of and praying for you all daily. Hoping he comes home soon, and feels much better. (((Hugs)))