I stayed home from work yesterday as the forecast was for all day snow switching over to ice pellets switching over to rain then the whole mess was set to freeze solid. I kept the kids home with me and we had a great day just wearing our pajamas and goofing off. Maddie and Riley took great naps while I shoveled the heavy, wet snow, and then after nap, I bundled them up and let them clear off the front porch with their pint-sized snow shovels. M&R love to wear their snow pants and hats and Gore-Tex mittens and get out in the inclement weather. I have created little New Englanders. How did that happen?
Today dawned sunny and bright, and we got bundled up and ready to go to daycare and work. We navigated our icy stairs and all got buckled into the car.
Which wouldn't start.
Evidently, I'd left a door ajar on Tuesday evening, so the battery had been drained by the interior light being left on. Crap.
I called AAA, who estimated a two-hour wait. It's been 1.5. As soon as I heard how long the wait was going to be, I threw the kids and their stuff into the stroller and hoofed it over to daycare so that I would not have to deal with AAA while the kids were around. I'm grateful that I live close enough to daycare to walk and that the sidewalks were passable, if just barely. Maddie and Riley thought it was a hoot to off-road in the jog stroller; we had to navigate some pretty impressive unplowed sections of sidewalk, so it was quite the adventure.
For now, I'm quite enjoying the morning. I got a call from the tow truck while I was at daycare letting me know that it would be about 90 minutes before they arrived, so I had time to stop at the store and pick up a few items we needed. I'm at home now with a latte and some breakfast. Hopefully AAA will be able to jump my car and I'll be on my way. At worst, I'll have to go see Paul, the friendly neighborhood gas station guy, for a new battery. Ideal? No. But all in all, not so bad.
One thing I've done today is turn down the job I interviewed for last week. I got the offer two days ago, and had a candid and productive conversation with the President and CEO about my situation and how it would affect my hours. She was surprisingly willing to accommodate that, to a certain extent, but after much thought I decided that a higher-stress job with somewhat longer hours and a very annoying commute was not for me. I'm sure I'd love the work and I feel somewhat guilty about taking things as far as I did and then deciding against the position. Ultimately, I didn't like that the job would infringe on my time with the twins. I don't want to cut back on our time together and I know they wouldn't like it either. I need to do what will keep me mentally as balanced as I can and physically as present as possible. Taking that job was not going to do that.
I sent a long e-mail to the CEO detailing my thought process and apologizing for taking so much of her time for a result that was not what she or I would have hoped for. I have not heard back from her.
I have a couple of other irons in the fire, job-wise. Who knows what awaits?