I haven't posted about the sleep situation for two reasons: (1) Boring! Almost as boring as that cowgirl on American Idol, and (2) although it's marginally better overall, it's still not great and I'm sick of talking about it.
And yet. Here I am.
I'll just say that there has been Screaming every night for Lo! Many Nights now. Sometimes Maddie, sometimes Riley, sometimes both, sometimes early, sometimes late, sometimes once, sometimes many times, very rarely Never.
It could be Teeth, it could be My Bad Attitude (tm), it could be a Phase, it could be the time change, it could be a developmental spurt, it could be grief, it could be Something of Which I Have Not Thought, it could be all of the above.
And that's all I know. So send some sleep vibes my way, okeydokey? We still need them.
- a walk to the park on a sunny Easter Sunday
- a 2.5 hour nap (babies, not me) on Sunday afternoon, during which I read the latest issue of People*
- a playdate with friends on Saturday, followed by dinner featuring a bunny-shaped cake for dessert ("We're gonna need a hose to get the frosting off Riley!")
- Easter brunch featuring waffles and "dip" (a.k.a. maple syrup), after which both twins smelled like delightful maple sugar candies all day
- the twins' newfound love of the song "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," including adorable attempts to sing along
- the twins choosing to eat sautéed green beans for snack on Sunday afternoon
- All hail the arrival of my $15 Senseo one-cup coffeemaker**!
- being up for the day at 5:15 a.m. on Sunday
- the longest stretch without screaming on Saturday night = 2 hours
- me being a Crabby Bitch on Sunday morning due to aforementioned screaming and early rising
- a sleep-deprived-induced sob-fest on the phone with my mom after nap got off to a poor start on Sunday (I suppose this is also a highlight, since it was helpful to talk things through with Mom)
Something that I am slooooowly learning about myself is that I'm not really a morning person. I always thought I was. And it's true that as a general rule, I'd rather get up early, get stuff done, and go to bed early than the opposite. This does not, however, mean that I'm in a good mood when I get up early. No, no it sure doesn't. So I guess maybe I am a morning person, but a reluctant and crabby one.
*Featuring Jennifer Lopez and her new twins. They are cuuuuuute. But her bliss at twin motherhood is a little rose-colored-glasses for me. I'm sure the two full-time baby nurses help Ms. Lopez to feel nothing but love and delight about her new additions.
**The perfect complement to my Italian lover. I don't always want a latte, and now I can choose between a regular cuppa or the coffeehouse experience. I've had four or five cups out of the Senseo so far, and I'm impressed. I ordered a thingie that will let me use my own coffee thus avoiding indentured pod-servitude; hopefully it will work as well as advertised.