26 January 2006

Always something . . .

GH's treatment yesterday went well, for the most part. He was supposed to get a combination of Gemzar and Avastin, but he ended up only getting the Avastin. The oncologist has set up a radiology consult for us on Monday to discuss radiating GH's spleen in an attempt to shrink it down and thus boost the platelet count. I guess this radiologist has a lot of experience with blood disorders and cancers and has used this treatment to some success on other patients. GH's oncologist gives it a 50/50 chance of working; the radiologist may have a better idea of what the odds are. In any case, it's a less-invasive option than spleen removal, so it seems worth exploring. It looks like GH will have the consult on Monday, be fitted with some kind of device that guides the raditaion on Wednesday, and start the treatments a few days after that. The treatments themselves last only 5-10 minutes but are given every day for 2-3 weeks. GH is worried about scheduling the treatments around work, but I'm sure his employer will be understanding. They have been so far.

In any case, radiation and Gemzar don't play nice together, so the Gemzar is on hold until the radiation treatments are over.

Tomorrow is Big Ultrasound day. Hooray! I'm excited and nervous, but mostly excited. There's a part of me that feels like we're spoiling things by finding out the sex of the twins, but mostly I can't wait. My coworkers and classmates are all placing bets.

I'm also excited to have the day off tomorrow. It will be nice to spend the time with my parents and to be away from work for a day. I've had a productive week and I'm ready to relax.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they've got a plan for GH and hope he's in the 50% that sees success with this treatment.

Good luck tomorrow. I found out with my son, and I'm glad I did because it made it easier to shop, plan, and get excited. He became more real to me once he was a he and not a s/he.